Since I'm here, I'd like to let you know what I've been up to and how my new role is developing. My job requires me to do a few things:
- To know about and keep staff abreast of all the eLearning resources at the college
- Train staff in said resources
- Support staff in using said resources
- Provide advice and guidance to staff who have a vague idea of what they want to do but no idea how to go about it
- Research additional tools etc that we may adopt in future.
I've been doing a lot of training recently: Moodle, SMARTBoards and bits and pieces including Box of Broadcasts and that's going to take up more of my time very shortly as I recently discovered a whole 2/3rds of the college have been holding back and giving me time to find my feet before descending on me. I've also started promoting the sporcle site as a good resource for quizzes and activities.
So far I've mostly been engaging with the people who are really excited about using a wider range of tools in their teaching and a few who are so scared of the idea that they wanted to get in some training early on. Either way - these are the people who have sought me out. What happens next is that I need to start hunting down people who are avoiding me.
I have noticed - and others have too - that the different departments that don't share students don't really communicate regularly on a professional basis. It's a very friendly college, so there is a lot of socialising, but I'm building a network throughout the college to promote inter-departmental communication. Ultimately, I intend to start a regular TeachMeet here, but keep that under your hat ;)